Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Grammar got ya down?

This week, I started working in CSU's Writing Center, a cozy little classroom deep within the bowels of Eddy hall. The Writing Center helps students with every aspect of their papers -- from brainstorming to revision. One thing I'm a little worried about is my own inability to articulate grammar rules for students needing help with editing. Since "Don't look at me, I just play by feel," probably isn't an acceptable answer, I have a couple of resources that I can fall back on. In addition to the Writing Center site, I've also discovered a great resource from Purdue University that's full of helpful grammatical information that my brain refuses to learn.

2 comments:

Aithne Cathasaigh said...

I love Purdue's website, the Owl, they've got a great satellite page for writing your CV which I thought was so helpful when I had to write one.

they also have some great guidelines for conference papers, have you given a conference paper yet? What kinds of topics do you think make for a good conference paper?

John-David said...

I have also pointed students to Purdue's OWL not only because it is 1st or 2nd when googling "grammar tips" or "Mla format", but because it seems to be updated frequently, and I used to be a Boilermaker, so I know the faculty is pretty darn awesome. So for the kids in the Writing Center who come with questions regarding Mla or APA format, you can send them there also if they aren't comprehending the citation help they are getting in the Writing Center.